Name:
Location: United States

Hah! As if! Not saying a gol-darned thing. Use your imagination!

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Batwoman

Yikes! I'm behind in my posts. Must make amends, so here goes.

Last Friday at work vacuuming the aforementioned evil salt from the entryway, I noticed what appeared to be a furry blob in the literature rack by the automatic door. At first I thought it was some sort of 'bag' made out of fur - you know, the kind favored by ancient civilizations to store their rocks in and such. I investigated further and found that in fact it was a BAT. Mind you, this was Feb. 2. It was touch cold for catching flying insects. Naturally, I assumed it was very dead. I came up with an improvised plan to bag the beast and dispose of him. (Actually I was planning on taking the carcass home to show Michael and Nora). When I reached out to grab him, he suddenly sprang to very much life - mouth open, fangs bared, and an awful hissing noise that made me jump, scream, drop everything I was holding and run in the other direction! Carol S. was there watering plants and observing me. She was very much amused.

So, how does one get rid of a bat that is alive? In the end, I put my coat and hood on, got Carol to hold a piece of plexiglass at an angle to the bat (in case it flew at me), got a sturdy piece of paper, a red plastic cup and just shoved the beastie in the cup, plopped the paper on top and took him outside. It wasn't that easy - those little claws on bat feet are very, very good at hanging on to cracks and crevices. I had to pry claws out of cracks. I think the bat was resigned to his fate because he didn't hiss at me anymore. We did see an impressive display of wing and little hook thing at the top of the wing. Most impressive... I put the bat outside on the ground. By the time I left he had taken off. Hopefully to resume hibernation!

The funniest thing was that I took a picture of him and showed him to the staff at the office. Fr. Ed happened in. He was aghast that I let him go. He said I should have bashed it in the head. After all, they carry diseases etc. So do dogs I said. My point exactly, said he. I forgot - he hates pretty much all animals - even dogs.

They don't pay me enough to kill animals...I'm glad I released it. But it did make for an interesting morning to be sure! I have to figure out how to post a picture from my cellphone!

6 Comments:

Blogger DaWheeze said...

Oh I can just see it :)Poor creature, probably it was quite cozy in the literature racks...good thing you found it before Fr. Ed though. Geesh, "bash it on the head?" I tell ya.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Bats are so cute though! Or am I just weird? I didn't know that Fr. Ed was such a hater.

5:39 AM  
Blogger clem said...

Hence the expression, "Bats in your belfry?" That's an odd word, "belfry".

9:25 AM  
Blogger D.Cous. said...

Hmm... I don't think we have a belfry at CTK, maybe that's why it was hanging out elsewhere in the church. We should get one.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

yes, belfry needed to avoid bats in the literature racks.

You should have kept him!!! Why is taking him home for Nora and Michael ok only if he's dead? Alive would have been much cooler. He was probably adorable. His name should be Ferdie.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Ferdie the Church Bat. Sounds like a children's book, like that caterpillar one.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home