Happy New Year
Wow! I guess it's been a while since my last post...we've been a tad busy.
We did finally manage the move. Most of the boxes are even unpacked and put away. I figure that eventually I can just throw entire boxes away - that way I won't have to find a place for their contents. My Dad's rule was always "if you haven't used in the last year, pitch it." Good advice. I think I'll modify that to say, "if you haven't opened the box in the last year, pitch the whole blasted thing."
Michael has recovered from his fear of moving. He now declares that he loves this house. Whew! Nora on the other hand, would rather be in the old house. I can't really figure out why since she also had her own room, it was absolutely frigid being that it was over the unfinished garage, and she kept it dark. At least the source of the horrid smell in her new room was discovered quickly - three dead mice in her heat vent. Yuck! I suppose she's at that stage - nothing is good enough. Sigh.
Hats off to Dan for getting his friends to help with the moving. What would we have done without Thomas, Anthony, Nick C., Ani, and Rina? (And the other people who I'm forgetting...) Donal, of course, was a huge help. Practically part of the family ;)
We even had a party. Amazing. The last time we planned a party was a New Year's Eve bash at the Collegewood house. It never happened because 2 days beforehand, every single one of us (only 6 at the time) were puking our guts out! This time around we all managed to be sick the week before the party. Maryn and Lauren somehow managed to avoid it. Amazing. Poor Lindsey had to live out of her car - again.
Yesterday, I had lunch with an old (yup, in both senses - cuz she's my age!) friend from high school. She caught me up on people I knew once upon a time - the crazy boy who made it big with Intel, the girl who didn't do real well with math/science who is now a researcher for Pfizer, the jock who became a high school principal in Ecuador and now Malaysia, and the poor doctor (big cheese) who married (two stepkids) and divorced a few years later. Funny how life takes us all on different paths. Then there's me - the janitor. Who'd a thunk, huh? We'll have to do it again...
Speaking of janitorial musings - what is up with this crazy weather? Al Gore is right. Normally this time of year, I'm whining about salt being tracked in and the "salt puddles" under the pews. This year, I kid you not, I am sweeping up grass clippings and mud! Is someone actually mowing their lawn?
Of course it will never snow, now that we bought a massively huge snow blower. Why? I don't know. I guess I'm getting old. I looked at our winding, slightly uphill, very very long driveway and decided there's no way I'm shoveling that thing. It would take hours! So I bought a kick-butt large piece of machinery. We haven't even started the thing. Is there another use for a snow blower? Can I till soil with it?
We will have a garden this year, but I fear the deer herd will probably end up eating most of it. So, I may call one of you bow hunters to take a few out. First, I suppose I should look up the rules for that sort of thing.
Oh yeah, last newsy item, I played my violin at Mass last weekend. A bit rusty. But I didn't shake uncontrollably. It was kind of fun. We'll see if I can do it again...
OK I lied, one more item: last night Michael asked when I was going to have another baby! I explained that I'm getting a little old for that. At least he didn't ask THE question. We can still stall on that one for a bit. It's Chris' turn for that conversation ...oh happy day. Ha! Ha! Ha!
Stay tuned for construction updates. We'll have to have another party when that's done.
We did finally manage the move. Most of the boxes are even unpacked and put away. I figure that eventually I can just throw entire boxes away - that way I won't have to find a place for their contents. My Dad's rule was always "if you haven't used in the last year, pitch it." Good advice. I think I'll modify that to say, "if you haven't opened the box in the last year, pitch the whole blasted thing."
Michael has recovered from his fear of moving. He now declares that he loves this house. Whew! Nora on the other hand, would rather be in the old house. I can't really figure out why since she also had her own room, it was absolutely frigid being that it was over the unfinished garage, and she kept it dark. At least the source of the horrid smell in her new room was discovered quickly - three dead mice in her heat vent. Yuck! I suppose she's at that stage - nothing is good enough. Sigh.
Hats off to Dan for getting his friends to help with the moving. What would we have done without Thomas, Anthony, Nick C., Ani, and Rina? (And the other people who I'm forgetting...) Donal, of course, was a huge help. Practically part of the family ;)
We even had a party. Amazing. The last time we planned a party was a New Year's Eve bash at the Collegewood house. It never happened because 2 days beforehand, every single one of us (only 6 at the time) were puking our guts out! This time around we all managed to be sick the week before the party. Maryn and Lauren somehow managed to avoid it. Amazing. Poor Lindsey had to live out of her car - again.
Yesterday, I had lunch with an old (yup, in both senses - cuz she's my age!) friend from high school. She caught me up on people I knew once upon a time - the crazy boy who made it big with Intel, the girl who didn't do real well with math/science who is now a researcher for Pfizer, the jock who became a high school principal in Ecuador and now Malaysia, and the poor doctor (big cheese) who married (two stepkids) and divorced a few years later. Funny how life takes us all on different paths. Then there's me - the janitor. Who'd a thunk, huh? We'll have to do it again...
Speaking of janitorial musings - what is up with this crazy weather? Al Gore is right. Normally this time of year, I'm whining about salt being tracked in and the "salt puddles" under the pews. This year, I kid you not, I am sweeping up grass clippings and mud! Is someone actually mowing their lawn?
Of course it will never snow, now that we bought a massively huge snow blower. Why? I don't know. I guess I'm getting old. I looked at our winding, slightly uphill, very very long driveway and decided there's no way I'm shoveling that thing. It would take hours! So I bought a kick-butt large piece of machinery. We haven't even started the thing. Is there another use for a snow blower? Can I till soil with it?
We will have a garden this year, but I fear the deer herd will probably end up eating most of it. So, I may call one of you bow hunters to take a few out. First, I suppose I should look up the rules for that sort of thing.
Oh yeah, last newsy item, I played my violin at Mass last weekend. A bit rusty. But I didn't shake uncontrollably. It was kind of fun. We'll see if I can do it again...
OK I lied, one more item: last night Michael asked when I was going to have another baby! I explained that I'm getting a little old for that. At least he didn't ask THE question. We can still stall on that one for a bit. It's Chris' turn for that conversation ...oh happy day. Ha! Ha! Ha!
Stay tuned for construction updates. We'll have to have another party when that's done.

1 Comments:
Haha, we can only hope that Dad's attempt to have The Talk with Michael is as amusing as his Talk with Daniel. "Hey guys! Did you know there are these things called sperm...?"
Good post, keep em coming.
Post a Comment
<< Home