Name:
Location: United States

Hah! As if! Not saying a gol-darned thing. Use your imagination!

Friday, January 12, 2007

Chemistry Lesson

This is a pee story, so if you're uptight about mentioning bodily fluids, read no more!

Today while cleaning the Church, I went into the hall bathroom where my nose was assaulted by the odor of , yup you guessed it, pee. There were no visible puddles on the floor or toilet, so I moved the rolling bin of extra paper products and discovered the source of the smell. Someone's aim was so totally off that they had managed to pee on the wall one foot to the left of the toilet and it had dripped down the tile and accumulated under the bin. At least, that's what I think happened. Seeing as how the tile is somewhat dark and the grout is stained anyway, it was hard to tell. Dried pee? I presumed so.
Now, I know what happens when you mix bleach and ammonia. BAD! Chlorine gas is released which is lethal. Chloramines can also be released when the ration of bleach to ammonia is lessened. Still BAD! I also remember that one of the components of urine is ammonia. So, how to get rid of the awful smell?
It seemed to me that the ammonia would have evaporated as the pee dried since it is a volatile substance. The hospital grade antibacterial stuff I use to clean the floors is not the greatest at getting rid of odors like urine. (Experience.) So, I decided it was probably 'safe' to use bleach.
BAD! You guessed it, I put on some bleach and hey presto, bubbling action with some noxious fumes. So, I would go into the hall and take a deep breath, go back in and quickly wipe up the offending subsances, rinse in the sink, then repeat. I managed to survive. It's a good thing my toxicology friend wasn't around today - she would have lectured me. I would have deserved it! Fortunately no one else was around either - like small children, my boss, etc.
So, today's lesson is never ever ever use bleach to clean up even dried pee from anything unless you're wearing a respirator!
Oh yeah, the other lesson is " FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD - DON'T PEE ALL OVER THE WALL AND FLOOR!
Enjoy the weekend and possible snow. We just may get to use the awesome snow blower yet!

4 Comments:

Blogger DaWheeze said...

Yeah! A post! Hmm, bleach and ammonia...not cool. Funny how pee seems to be a major theme for my family's blogs. Weirdos :)

12:24 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Ha, at least I don't have to clean it up usually. That's why the teacher is married to the school's janitor.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Reenie said...

great post, and sounds like quite an experiment. um, so i shouldn't pee all over the church bathroom anymore? picky picky picky.

5:07 AM  
Blogger D.Cous. said...

Yikes. Good thing you didn't have to go to the hospital for that. "What happened?" "Well Doctor, I was cleaning up some urine..."

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home