A REVOLUTION!!
That's right. I'm ready to start a revolution. Overthrowing Castro? Nah, he's gonna croak anytime now and Miami is gonna party.
The revolution I have in mind is getting rid of SALT. Specifically road salt. It seems that the company hired to do the salting at work decided that More is Better. Actually, the whole truckload seems pretty darn good. The entire parking lot (I am not stretching the truth) is covered with blue road salt. It is like driving on a gravel parking lot.
The inside of the Church was covered in the same stuff. As a little experiment (weird I know) I decided to see just how much of the stuff I vacuumed. So, fresh bag in. Vacuum for hours. Take bag home and weigh it on my scale. How much you ask? 21.5 ounces That was just on the carpet! I couldn't come up with a good way to isolate just the salt from the usual gunk on the tiled portion of the floor. Sampling would have worked, but they don't pay me the big bucks for floor gunk sampling! So, no estimate on the tile portion. But it was probably at least another pound based on the weight of the dustbin.
Yikes. Two pounds of salt sprinkled all over the floor. If that's what's on the carpet/floor, think how much must be on the sidewalks and lot. So much for the grass that used to grow. My theory about the dying trees out front has always been salt poisoning. So much for any invertebrates trying to survive in the Huron River! So much for the fish. Aren't we supposed to be good stewards? I don't think we're doing a very good job if we're overpaying a janitor to clean up salt that was needlessly tracked in to a place of worship on people who had to walk through a salt mine where all of the runoff goes to our local River.
Rant, rave, revolution! I think I'll have a word with my boss.
The revolution I have in mind is getting rid of SALT. Specifically road salt. It seems that the company hired to do the salting at work decided that More is Better. Actually, the whole truckload seems pretty darn good. The entire parking lot (I am not stretching the truth) is covered with blue road salt. It is like driving on a gravel parking lot.
The inside of the Church was covered in the same stuff. As a little experiment (weird I know) I decided to see just how much of the stuff I vacuumed. So, fresh bag in. Vacuum for hours. Take bag home and weigh it on my scale. How much you ask? 21.5 ounces That was just on the carpet! I couldn't come up with a good way to isolate just the salt from the usual gunk on the tiled portion of the floor. Sampling would have worked, but they don't pay me the big bucks for floor gunk sampling! So, no estimate on the tile portion. But it was probably at least another pound based on the weight of the dustbin.
Yikes. Two pounds of salt sprinkled all over the floor. If that's what's on the carpet/floor, think how much must be on the sidewalks and lot. So much for the grass that used to grow. My theory about the dying trees out front has always been salt poisoning. So much for any invertebrates trying to survive in the Huron River! So much for the fish. Aren't we supposed to be good stewards? I don't think we're doing a very good job if we're overpaying a janitor to clean up salt that was needlessly tracked in to a place of worship on people who had to walk through a salt mine where all of the runoff goes to our local River.
Rant, rave, revolution! I think I'll have a word with my boss.

6 Comments:
Dying trees you say? Salt-poisoning? That sounds like a plan to me. Do you know where I could get my hands on a couple hundred pounds of road salt? There's a tree that desparately needs murdering, but it has to be sureptitious because it's owned by the city. Anyways, I'm off to class
Gruesome Mr. Marsh. I agree, mom, about the horribleness of salt. It's everywhere! And it doesn't even help that much. Instead of slipping on ice, we're just tripping over salt chunks the size of Pluto (formerly known as planet)! Count me in for the revolution. I am willing to sabotage salt trucks here on campus if necessary.
But what about melting the ice? I hate the salt too, but mightn't (is that a word?) it be the lesser of two evils, the alternative being broken bones and automobiles? Then again, at least if everyone slipped on the sidewalk, they wouldn't make it to the church to mess it up. :) Have a good one, Mrs. M.
Hey D.Cous -
I'm not against using ANY salt. I'm just against using an entire truckload for which we pay by the pound which then kills the grass which we then pay your friend Eric to replant and we pay for the seed and the bricks which are never quite enough then all the salt runs off into the storm drain which then drains DIRECTLY into the mighty Huron. Personally, I think we shoulda sprung for heated sidewalks like downtown Holland. How smart is that?! As far as I know, only one bone has been broken in the parking lot and that was his own fault (neighbor of your folks - Dan's friend) he was running and leaping in the parking lot. Go figure.
Well, you're certainly worth your salt (as the Romans used to say).
Hmm, out here in GR, it was so cold after our blizzard that salt and other de-icing chemicals weren't working. So for a week or so, there wasn't anything on the roads but ice and the occasional attempt at sand. They've more than compensated for that now. I'm with Mr. Marsh on the Death Tree plan. Seriously, tree in city property eating through our sewer line. City won't cut it down, and Sandy has to pay to roto-root it every 6 months, and the tree just gets back into the line. Stupid city. I was think some bug disease, but that's hard to control, innocent trees could be lost. Bark cutting and hiding it under the snow would be difficult to pull off. Salt seems to be the solution! We seem to have a bag of it on our porch...
Post a Comment
<< Home