Name:
Location: United States

Hah! As if! Not saying a gol-darned thing. Use your imagination!

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Political Thoughts from a decidedly non-intellectual

I'm writing this as I attempt to stay clear of the media today. I wonder how many people will not go out and vote because the media has already declared a winner?

I am truly thankful that no one was at my polling place with a machine gun telling me how to cast my vote. Similarly, I did not have to have a sex-change operation, or lighten my skin, or pass a test in order to fill in my dots. No one offered me money to vote a certain way. No one threatened to kill my children if I didn't toe the line. For that, we should all be grateful.

I voted, but it was more an anti-vote than a gung-ho, that's my candidate vote. I truly wish there were someone who represented my views. (Alan Keyes where are you?)

Our Constitution sets up this system, but we, the people, are the system. Just as we are free to change for the better, we are also free to change for the worse.

It seems to me, that we as a country have become exactly what we thought we were reacting against: a country run by entrenched political lifers, elected nobility as it were. When there are candidates appearing on the ballot today, that were there 46 years ago, I think that's a problem. Where are the citizen politicians? I would love to have a part-time legislature, for both State and US representatives.

How can I make an educated vote when I don't know who these people running for President are going to appoint as cabinet members? That's the nitty-gritty.

The Presidential job seems to me less important than the House/Senate. I suppose a president who can/will stand up to the sometimes nonsensical bills that spew out of Congress has more importance/weight than not. Where is that person? If I were running, I would carry with me a giant ball-point, fire-engine red, VETO pen. Maybe I'd be elected.

Why should we vote for someone purely to right past wrongs? Whether it's a woman or a person of color, doesn't it matter what they stand for? If someone stands FOR everything, isn't that equivalent to standing for nothing? If I wanted a rock star - I'd vote for Bono, or maybe Eric Clapton, or heck - even Bob Dylan. A media darling doesn't necessarily make a good President. On the flip side, why should I vote for someone who is an entrenched pol? Even if they promise change, how much can they truly deliver? Not much, I'm thinking. A "maverick" doesn't necessarily make a good President either.

History will have to be the judge.

So, yes, I voted. Yes, I am once again grateful to live in America where we have this opportunity. Yes, we can still be civilized as evidenced by the lack of animosity/intimidation at the polling site. Hopefully, we will survive as a country until the next Presidential election.

Maybe what we need is a Janitor to go to Washington and really "clean things up". Joe the Plumber, meet Jean the Janitor! :)

Now, to the laundry and maybe to some violin playing!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

yay! a post!

Good thoughts. I'd vote for you :)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Roz said...

I'll start reading if you start posting.

Roz

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home